Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tapas





Mac Pains

Learning my Mac hurts.
I will learn to be clever,
or I’ll die trying.
first haiku on my new Mac
Catharine Larsen September 09, 2010


I must admit, my haiku is a bit melodramatic, but sometimes it does feel that way.  I have been a Microsoft/Word user for all of my computer life, and now I've switched to a Mac.  I did it when my former laptop kept freezing up on me.  I went to Mac, because I've heard so much about them, and because I use photos and photo presentations in my work, and I heard it was great for photos.  At this moment, however, my photos are not really usable, which is frustrating.  I'm waiting for the Geek Squad to return and download/transfer them from my old computer in a different way (I hope they can).

I am not very computer literate, but I use one all the time.  I am finding that I am on the verge of becoming overwhelmed, or irritated and impatient.  Tapas is the 8th guideline in the Yamas and Niyamas, the ethical guidelines of yoga.  They show us the pathway to competent living.  Tapas means self-discipline and, literally, staying in the fire until the blessing (in this case, Mac competency).  Alchemists believed they could turn base metals into gold (think treasure) by burning them in a fiery crucible.  I keep reminding myself to hold fast and to stay in my learning phase without getting all upset and crazy (I could go there).  I want to stay in the "fire" of not knowing as long as it takes.  There is a blessing to come--competency I hope.


2 comments:

  1. I think computers and technology are the group wolves of our time. One can never learn enough because as soon as you get something figured out, the technology changes. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! I'm stuck right now as far as my photo folders are concerned.

    ReplyDelete