Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving Turn Around

I hate to admit it, but I can get myself tense during the preparations for holidays like the Thanksgiving we just had.  This year I found something that quickly changed my automatic reaction.

Our son and daughter-in-law and their adorable 4y old Luli, our youngest grandchild, were here from Seattle.  We had the rest of the family here, including girlfriends of grandsons (that's a new one for us).  The two days before Thanksgiving, I was busy preparing food for our visiting kids and for the holiday.  We also made the beds, etc--you know how it goes.

I found myself getting uptight, and then wanting to be angry with Lauren, my hubby, projecting my tenseness out onto him.  Not very nice.  But, I caught this soon-to-be negative behavior, and said (to myself), "I don't want to be like that!"  And I instantly softened and open up--and knew things would work out no matter what--of course.

The result was this turn around lasted throughout the holidays, and I had a much happier and more peaceful holiday and time with our visiting families.  I'm sure they did too.  It was lovely.




                                                                                   

2 comments:

  1. I know how you felt at first Catharine...I get so tensed up when I'm cooking for company, even if its family. The last few times I have worked real hard at relaxing and not worrying about every little thing...and found all went much better! Glad you had a great time with your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. We learn a little each day. :-)

    ReplyDelete