Friday, August 20, 2010

Hummingbird Lesson

I've been enjoying watching the hummingbirds at our hummingbird feeder on our deck.  They come early in the morning--rain or shine--and then around noon and then later in the day.   I can distinguish the male from the female, but not when they're flying around quick as can be.  They are feisty, territorial birds.  Even though there are at least 4 feeding stations on the feeder, when the male is feeding, he will not allow another hummingbird to feed at the same time.  He'll even just sit there without dipping into the nectar--is he "holding his space?"  The other one keeps returning for a try, but is darted at and leaves, but keeps trying over and over. 

This made me think of how I keep trying to "protect my territory," in this case it's my expectations.  It's my expectations that the world go according to Catharine, not as it happens to unfold.  That snail-slow person in the car ahead of me who is holding me up; the store that doesn't have the item I want; my husband who doesn't do (guess) what I want him to do.  I'm like that little hummingbird--I react and fuss.  Really, who do I think I am?  Such an ego, an ego that keeps gripping and fussing even though the situation is out of my control.  When I "come to" and am aware, I know how silly and wasteful this all is.

Breathe and accept what is in the moment, staying relaxed and open.  That's my goal anyway.  Good I have the hummingbirds to enjoy and to remind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment