Thursday, July 1, 2010

Attachment Grace Period

I've been thinking about our move to our new home last October.  We left a house we had remodeled to suit us, and which was on beautiful land with lovely landscaping.  It was "perfect" for us, and I was grateful for the beautiful years we had in that home (23 years).  Yet, once we moved, I realized I have not missed that house for one minute, which greatly surprised me.  However, I did notice that, without being conscious of doing this, I was trying to bring my old home and garden with me--I would replace the old with the new, but it would be like the old!  Of course, this was not possible, but it made it difficult to move forward, especially because I was unaware I was attempting to do this!  Once I was aware, I could laugh at myself and remind myself that this was a fresh beginning.  I've thought about this, and I think I needed a period of transition--a grace period, if you will--between our old life and our new life.  My psyche had not yet fully made the transition.  We had moved willingly and happily and physically, but my whole self needed more time to come into this new space.  Once I was aware of this, I began to intentionally create my new life in my new home.  I don't know if others have experienced this phenomenom, but I would be interested in your moving stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment